Bajan Fried Bakes Recipe
In addition to being known for its friendly people and beautiful sights, there is no denying that Barbados also has some of the best foods! The combination of herbs and spices in meals, leaves mouths watering and everyone wanting more. One simple delicacy which is sought after by both locals and visitors, is the Bajan (Barbadian) Fried Bakes. These bakes, also known as muffins can be eaten by themselves, with butter, jam, cheese or whatever you choose!
These fried bakes typically have three main ingredients – flour, sugar and water. Despite the simple ingredients, they are little pieces of deliciousness! Other ingredients can also be added to make your taste buds dance more!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla/almond essence
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups water
- Vegetable/Corn Oil (for frying)
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add essence and water gradually to create a stiff consistency.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- When hot, drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the oil and allow to fry on each side, until each side is golden brown.
- Remove from oil and allow to drain and cool.
- Enjoy your Bajan bakes!
Hungry? Try our recipe and taste a piece of Barbados and let us know how much you enjoyed them!